The skin protects the body from microbes, regulates the temperature and makes it susceptible to sensations like touch, heat and cold. It has three layers epidermis, dermis and hypodermis. The pigment that gives skin its color called as melanin is produced by melanocytes that are present in the epidermis layer. Majority of the skin care products work on the epidermal layer of the skin. Having a healthy skin is a major asset to a person. It is affected by the food one eats, the environmental conditions where one stays, the type of job one does. Skin health affects ones looks and hence ones personality and confidence. Maintaining a proper skin care routine is very important.
Do’s in the skin care
- Thorough cleansing of the skin is the must. It unclogs the pores and prevents deposition of sebum which leads to acne . Face must be cleansed twice a day with a mild chemical free cleanser. Body should be cleansed by a mild natural scrub or a chemical free soap.
- Moisturizing: Both the body as well as the face should be well moisturised. Even oily skin should be moisturised with a oil free light moisturiser.
- Sunscreen: A sunscreen with SPF higher than 30 should be used even on a rainy cloudy day to prevent the damage to the skin by the harmful UV rays.
- Clothing: Wear sun protective clothing. Wear Light colours and full sleeve clothes also wear a cap or hat to cover the scalp and face.
- Diet and life style: Exercise regularly, eat healthy food and stay hydrated. Exercise for minimum 30 minutes daily. Consume lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Drinking enough water flushes out the toxins from the body and helps the skin to glow.
- Sleep: Appropriate sleep hours are necessary as the skin rejuvenates when we sleep.
Don’ts in skin care:
- Do not over wash the face and avoid hot water bath as it may strip out natural oils and make the skin dry.
- Do not try to prick the acne how much ever big and bad they are. They are more prone to infection and leaves behind a scar.
- Do not smoke and drink .Smoking may dry out the skin and also discolor it and drinking alcohol makes the skin sag and leading to early signs of aging.
- Do not over stress as it leads to oily skin which further causes acne, rashes and irritation.
- Do not exfoliate everyday as it may damage the skin.
- Do not use body scrub on face as body scrubs are intense and would be harsh for the face which has a delicate skin.
- Do not forget to remove the makeup before going to sleep.
- Do not use moisturizer below the eyes as the area surrounding the eyes is very delicate and the thick layer of moisturizer just accumulates as the molecules of the regular moisturizer are large and do not get absorbed easily. While the eye cream has small molecules and gets easily absorbed.