Fenugreek also known as Methi is an age old ingredient used in alternative medicine to treat skin condition, digestive issues as well as other ailments. It also improves overall health and metabolism. Apart from being a spice in the Indian kitchen it is also used in shampoos, hair mask, soap etc. It is packed with nutrients like Iron, manganese, magnesium and is a good source of fiber, protein and carbohydrates. It is native to India and South Africa. Its leaves and seeds are popular in Indian cuisine. The leaves and seeds have a slightly bitter and sweet taste.
Fenugreek in Hair care:
- A very popular ingredient for hair growth and used as a remedy for dry scalp, dandruff, hair fall, promotes healthy hair and scalp.
- Stimulates the blood flow to the scalp.
- Its glue like texture obtained on soaking in water gives smoothness to the hair also giving lustre and helps to detangle.
- Anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties help to treat dandruff and irritated scalp.
- Helps to arrest the premature greying of hair.
- The hormonal changes in women above 45+ years leads to hair loss, Fenugreek is high in estrogen and helps hair thinning issues. But fenugreek must be used as a supplement only after consulting a medical practitioner.
Different hair mask made from fenugreek are:
- Add partially crushed fenugreek seeds to coconut oil in the ration 2:1. Heat the mixture till the fenugreek seeds turn red. Strain and expose to sunlight for 7 days. Massage this gently on the scalp and wash off with mild sulphate and paraben free shampoo after 2 hours.
- Heat olive oil till it is warm and add powder of fenugreek to it. Gently massage the scalp and wash off after an hour. This conditions the hair making it smooth and tangle free.
- Soak 1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds overnight in water and grind it in the mixer. Mix this paste with 2 tbsp curd and apply to the scalp . Wash off after 1 hour with a mild sulphate and paraben free shampoo. Applying once a week will strengthen the roots making the hair strong and healthy.
Fenugreek in Skin care:
Being a rich source of Iron, Manganese, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorous and Vitamin C it helps to improve the skin complexion and fight premature ageing signs.
DIY for skin:
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Make a paste in the morning and apply it to the face. Its anti inflammatory and anti oxidant properties help to treat acne and moisturise skin. This also helps to lighten the hyperpigmentation due to the presence of Vitamin K
- A face pack of soaked and ground Fenugreek with milk or curd improves the skin complexion and lightens fine lines.
- Paste with milk also helps to lighten dark circles under the eyes.
- A face mixture of soaked and ground fenugreek seeds along with milk, oats and rose water when lightly massaged onto skin and washed off after 10 minutes acts as a scrub and exfoliates the skin.
Apart from hair and skin ,fenugreek as many other health benefits.
- It regulates the digestive system.
- Fenugreek seeds help in lactation in breastfeeding moms.
- The vitamin C in fenugreek helps to boost the immunity.
- Rich in Iron, it aids good blood circulation.
- Helps cure mouth ulcers, bronchitis, chronic coughs.
- It is also used to lower blood sugar levels.
- Being rich in fibre it suppresses the appetite giving a feeling of fulness and aids in weight loss.
- Helps regulate cholesterol and reduce blood pressure.