Shikakai, also known as Acacia Concinna is a native to China and tropical Asia, common in warm plains of central and South India. It is used since centuries in India and as per ancient Ayurveda, has immense hair care benefits.
Everyone remembers their grandmother making a decoction of shikakai powder and using it to wash hair. It contains saponin which is a frothing specialist and cleans and conditions the hair deeply which cannot be done by premium shampoo and conditioners containing chemicals. It is suitable for all types of scalp and hair.
Its bark, leaves and pods are used to make the powder which is further used to make hair mask, shampoo, conditioners etc. Shikakai is one of the most useful Ayurvedic herbs and is used for solving hair related problems, especially hair fall. Shikakai helps to remove dirt and excess oil from the scalp as well as promotes hair growth. This is because of its Kashaya (astringent) property.
Do amla, reetha and shikakai help to regrow Hair? Yes. These are the potent ingredients of Ayurveda that provide essential nutrients to your hair and scalp, which eventually leads to healthy hair growth by controlling hair loss.
Shikakai helps in retaining the youthfulness of black hair colour naturally and prevents hair from premature greying. Shikakai powder absorbs easily into the hair and gives natural, darker, thicker and shiny hair.
It strengthens the hair from the roots, prevents split ends, breakage and hair fall. Shikakai improves the moisture-retaining capacity of your hair follicles, prevents premature greying as well as prevents your hair colour from fading very quickly.
Not only does it turn your grey hair black, but also slows down the ageing clock and prevents premature greying.
Step 1: Make a paste of shikakai powder with fresh yoghurt.
Step 2: Apply to your hair and scalp.
Step 3: Allow it to remain for 20-30 minutes and rinse with cold water.
Regular usage provides stronger and thicker mane.Use shikakai and amla powder to make a paste that can be used as a shampoo. Do this on a weekly basis to get dark and youthful hair.
Some of the Benefits of Shikakai are as Follows:
• Treats Lice: The anti fungal and anti inflammatory properties of Shikakai helps to get rid of Lice and soothe scalp irritation caused due to the lice.
• Hair packs: When mixed with Amla powder and applied as a hair pack, it slows down the greying process and gives shiny healthy hair. It is also helpful in treating dandruff.
• Cleanser: It delicately cleans the hair without stripping off the natural oils and also imparts mild, natural, fresh aroma to the hair, thereby giving freshness to the hair.
• Soft and silky hair: The vitamins, anti oxidants and saponins present in Shikakai improve the texture of the hair, thus giving soft and silky hair.
• Accelerates hair growth: the vitamins A, C, D, E, K in Shikakai nourish the scalp and hair. It improves the hair growth, reduces hair fall and strengthens the roots.
• Manages curly hair: It’s a natural conditioner and detangles the curly, dry hair making it soft, shiny and manageable.